It’s nearly one of our favourite times of the year – Christmas! With lots of Christmas parties and entertaining, it’s great to have a yummy festive snack on hand. We have added a healthy twist to the old Christmas classic – rum balls. They are an old favourite at this time of year., and perfect to add to a Christmas platter, or just for a yummy little treat. Rum balls are loved by many and the only ingredient that isn’t ‘healthy’ in this recipe is the rum! (It would be a little hard to make rum balls without rum 😉)
Our not quite healthy rum balls have lots of yummy ingredients and are a perfect after dinner treat, or to have with a cuppa too. If you don’t like rum, simply leave it out and they will still taste great! Our rum ball alternative for kids can be found below.
(Not quite) healthy rum balls
1 1/2 cups cashews
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 cup desiccated coconut (and a little extra for rolling, if desired)
1 tbsp cacao
1/2 cup rice malt syrup
1-2 tbsp rum
- Place cashews and oats in a food processor and whizz on high for 10 seconds.
- Scrape down sides and add all remaining ingredients.
- Blend on medium for another 10 seconds.
- Take a spoonful of the mixture and roll into a ball. Repeat until all the mixture is used.
- Rum balls can then be rolled in coconut, if desired, or simply left as they are.
- Place in fridge to cool for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Store in an air-tight container in the fridge (or freezer). Rum balls should keep for at least 7-10 days when stored in the fridge.
Makes approx 20 balls (depending upon how big they are rolled).
Rum ball alternative for kids
If you would like a rum ball recipe that is suitable for the kids – simply omit the rum. Or make the mixture without the rum, roll half of the balls, and then add 1 tablespoon of rum to the remaining mixture. You could then place in separate containers, or simply coat the kids’ ‘rum balls’ in coconut, and leave the adult version plain. Winning!
If you love these rum balls and are looking for another Christmas treat, then we think you will love our Sugar Free Shortbread Cookies..