With lots of Christmas parties and entertaining, it’s great to have a yummy festive snack on hand. We have added a healthy twist to the Christmas classic – rum balls. They are a favourite at this time of the year, and perfect to add to a Christmas platter, or for a yummy little treat. Our healthy rum ball recipe contains lots of yummy, healthy ingredients, with a dash of rum (which you can leave out for the kids).
Or if you don’t like rum, simply leave it out and call them Christmas bliss balls, as they’re a tasty treat with or without rum.
Healthy rum balls recipe
Healthy rum ball ingredients
1 1/2 cups cashews
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 cup desiccated coconut (and a little extra for rolling, if desired)
1 tbsp cacao
1/2 cup maple syrup or rice malt syrup
1-2 tbsp rum
Directions to make your healthy rum balls
- Place cashews and oats in a food processor and whizz on high for 10 seconds.
- Scrape down sides and add all remaining ingredients.
- Blend on medium for another 10 seconds.
- Take a spoonful of the mixture and roll into a ball. Repeat until all the mixture is used.
- Rum balls can then be rolled in coconut if desired, or simply left as they are.
- Place in the fridge to cool for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Store in an air-tight container in the fridge (or freezer). Rum balls should keep for at least 7-10 days when stored in the fridge.
Makes approx 20 balls (depending upon how big they are rolled).
Healthy rum ball alternative for kids
If you would like a rum ball recipe that is suitable for the kids – simply omit the rum. Or make the mixture without the rum, roll half of the balls, and then add 1 tablespoon of rum to the remaining mixture. You could then place in separate containers, or simply coat the kids’ ‘rum balls’ in coconut, and leave the adult version plain. Winning!
If you love these rum balls and are looking for another Christmas treat, then we think you will love our Sugar Free Shortbread Cookies..