Do you struggle with healthy school snacks for your kids? When all you want is something that is quick, easy and healthy to make… it can seem like it is as hard as finding a flying unicorn wearing a tutu! Don’t despair – our Healthy LCM bars are a healthy version on the supermarket classic, and don’t contain all the processed sugar, nasty additives or preservatives!
We are all about balance in our house, and whilst treats are allowed, it is easy to make healthy swaps for school snacks like LCM bars. Our recipe for Healthy LCM Bars is the perfect substitute for store-bought LCM bars and is also nut-free! So it is not only safe as a school snack, but perfect for playgroup, birthday parties or when you’re looking for a recipe that is suitable for family members or friends with allergies.
The Healthy LCM Bars are also versatile, so you can easily swap out the tahini (sesame seed paste) and replace with peanut butter, or your other favourite nut butters, if you don’t require them to be nut free. This recipe is also dairy-free and gluten-free – so a wonderful, healthy snack for the whole family!
Healthy LCM Bars
3 cups puffed rice
3/4 cup dessicated coconut
1/2 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
1/2 cup rice malt syrup (or your preferred sweetner)
- Start by pouring 3 cups of puffed rice into large mixing bowl.
- Add 3/4 cup of coconut to puffed rice, and stir through.
- Pour 1/2 cup tahini & 1/2 cup rice malt syrup into saucepan and mix together on a low-medium heat. Mix until both ingredients are combined and you have what resembles delicious caramel.
- Pour the caramel mixture into mixing bowl and fold through the puffed rice & coconut mixture (you may need to combine with your hands!)
- Line a 20 x 10cm baking tray with baking paper. Pour the mixture into the baking tray, and press down – ensuring you evenly spread the mixture.
- Place into refrigerator to set for at least 30-60 mins.
- Remove from your fridge, place on cutting board and cut into desired size ‘bars’. Enjoy!!
If you liked this recipe, then you’ll also love the Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies – yumm!!
Melissa Dickfos, is the Founder at Nourishing Your World, a coffee lover, mum of two children, advocate of making small steps towards healthy living and loves to laugh!