Muesli bars bring up memories of childhood for me, however since learning about all the extra additives in store bought and processed muesli bars, we decided it was time to make our own!
These healthy homemade muesli bars are full of so many yummy and nutritious ingredients – chia seeds, sunflower seeds, cashews, almonds, coconut oil, oats – yumm! The chia seeds provide a great source of antioxidants, fibre and omega-3 fatty acids – which are fantastic for assisting in reducing inflammation in the body and help to keep your bones strong and healthy. Sunflower seeds are a rich source of protein, fibre and vitamins B & E. The cashews and almonds not only taste delicious, but are also another fabulous source of ‘good fat’, with the added benefit of keeping you fuller for longer. The mix of all these fantastic ingredients makes for a yummy, healthy snack that is perfect for not only kids, but adults too!
You can always add your own twist to these yummy muesli bars by adding in chocolate chips, organic apricots or coconut flakes – all adding their own unique flavour to the recipe.
Healthy homemade muesli bars
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1/3 cup honey or rice malt syrup
- Line a tray (approx 20cm x 30cm) with baking paper.
- Combine melted coconut oil & honey (or rice malt syrup) in a medium bowl until mixed well.
- Add oats, coconut, chia seeds, sunflower seeds, almonds and cashews.
- Mix all ingredients together well.
- Pour mixture into baking tray, and press down well with back of spatula.
- Place into the fridge for 1-2 hours minimum (to allow the coconut oil to solidify).
- Remove from fridge and slice into 10-12 bars.
- Store in fridge or freezer. Enjoy!
Makes approx 10-12 muesli bars.
If you’d like another muesli bar recipe – with yummy chocolate chips, and that is nut free (so perfect for those school lunchboxes), then check out our Healthy Chocolate Chip Muesli Bars!