Healthy banana bread that the whole family will love
Healthy banana bread recipe that is refined sugar-free, dairy-free and nut-free
A simple banana bread recipe that is great in the school lunch box
We love baking a loaf of healthy banana bread on the weekend that can be added to school lunch boxes during the week (if there is any leftover that is!)
We have also included walnuts or pecans as an optional addition to the recipe if you don’t require a nut-free recipe – it adds a delicious flavour!
Healthy Banana Bread Recipe
2 ripe bananas
125g melted coconut oil (or butter if you prefer and don’t require to be dairy-free)
1 1/2 cups wholemeal self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup maple syrup (or your preferred sweetener)
Optional – 1/2 cup walnuts/pecan nuts or your other favourites (if you don’t require the recipe to nut-free)
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees & grease a loaf tin.
- Pour melted coconut oil (or butter) in to mixing bowl and then add 1/3 cup of maple syrup and combine.
- Whisk 2 eggs in a separate bowl and then add to coconut oil (or butter) and maple syrup, and mix together.
- Mash banana well until a smooth consistency is reached. Add bananas to mixture.
- Combine all ingredients together well.
- Slowly add 1 1/2 cups wholemeal flour and 1 teaspoon of baking powder to the mixture and combine until all ingredients are mixed well.
- Optional – add 1/2 cup walnuts/pecan nuts to the batter and stir through.
- Pour batter into greased loaf tin.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30-40 minutes (depending upon your oven). Test with cake skewer, and if the skewer comes out clean, then your healthy banana bread is ready! When ready, remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
If you liked this recipe, then another favourite of ours are the Banana & Apple Muffins– yumm!!
Melissa Dickfos, is the Founder at Nourishing Your World, a coffee lover, mum of two children, advocate of making small steps towards healthy living and loves to laugh.