Banana bread is such a favourite amongst both kids & adults alike, but can often have a really high sugar content, despite many people viewing it as a ‘healthy’ bread/cake. We have put a twist on the classic favourite, with our Healthy Banana Bread recipe being refined sugar free!
It is a super simple recipe that contains a much smaller amount of a sugar substitute. Our healthy banana bread is also dairy free and nut free (so perfect for kids to take to school).
We have also included walnuts as an optional addition to the recipe if you don’t require a nut free recipe – it adds a delicious flavour!
Healthy Banana Bread
2 ripe bananas
125g coconut oil (melted) – or butter if you prefer
1 1/2 cups wholemeal self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup maple syrup (or your preferred sweetner)
Optional – 1/2 cup walnuts/pecan nuts or your other favourites!
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees & grease a loaf tin.
- Pour melted coconut oil (or butter) in to mixing bowl and then add 1/3 cup of maple syrup and combine.
- Whisk 2 eggs in a separate bowl and then add to coconut oil (or butter) & maple syrup, and mix together.
- Mash banana well until a smooth consistency is reached. Add bananas to mixture.
- Combine all ingredients together well.
- Slowly add 1 1/2 cups wholemeal flour and 1 teaspoon of baking powder to mixture and combine until all ingredients are mixed well.
- Optional – add 1/2 cup walnuts/pecan nuts to the batter and stir through.
- Pour batter into greased loaf tin.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 30-40 minutes (depending upon your oven). Test with cake skewer, and if skewer comes out clean, then your healthy banana bread is ready! When ready, remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool.
If you liked this recipe, then another favourite of ours are the Banana & Apple Muffins– yumm!!
Melissa Dickfos, is the Founder at Nourishing Your World, a coffee lover, mum of two children, advocate of making small steps towards healthy living and loves to laugh